The Partner Report on Support to Statistics (PRESS) is one of PARIS21's flagship publications. It presents data on technical and financial support to statistical development worldwide and is thus a valuable tool for collaboration.
PRESS 2015: Support to statistics falls, putting SDG monitoring at risk
However, as the 2015 PRESS shows, support to development statistics has fallen in 2013 after remaining constant in previous years.
What's more, PARIS21 finds that countries with the lowest statistical capacity receive less statistical aid per capita than countries with greater capacity.
So exactly how much financial and technical support are developing countries getting?
Check out results from previous PRESS Rounds
In 2005-06, PARIS21 conducted a review of technical and financial support to statistical development in Sub-Saharan Africa. The results of this review (called the "light reporting exercise - LRE") were presented at the February 2006 Second Forum on African Statistical Development (FASDEV II) held in Addis Ababa and at the 8th Session of the Committee for the Coordination of Statistical Activities (CCSA) held in Montreal, Canada in September 2006.
The results were produced in a three-volume set ("Review of Support to Statistical Capacity Building in Sub-Saharan Africa"):
- Synthesis Report on the Light Reporting Exercise (Vol. I) (also available in French)
- Detailed Results of the Light Reporting Exercise as of June 2006 (Vol. II)
- Directory of Development Partners (Vol. III)
The CCSA recommended that PARIS21 convene an inter-agency task team to explore the refinement and expansion of this LRE. The PARIS21 Steering Committee approved this proposal in November 2006. The task team convened eight meetings to propose and refine its methodology. The minutes and outputs from those meetings are available on this site as follows:
- November 2006 PRESS task team meeting
- February 2007 PRESS task team meeting
- May 2007 PRESS task team meeting
- June 2007 PRESS task team meeting
- January 2008 PRESS task team meeting
- March 2008 PRESS task team meeting
- June 2008 PRESS task team meeting
- October 2008 PRESS task team meeting
The objectives of this exercise -- now dubbed the Partner Report on Support to Statistics (PRESS) -- are to:
- Learn what donors (i.e., technical and financial partners) are doing and plan to do in the statistical field and identify countries or areas of statistics in need of more support.
- Offer this information to donors responsible for giving aid and to countries receiving it.
- Raise the profile of statistics within the overall context of aid to developing countries.
PRESS activities have been mainstreamed into the PARIS21 Secretariat regular work programme. The exercise is conducted annually.