The Bermuda Government, Department of Statistics launched its National Strategy for the Development of Statistics by hosting a one-day consultation workshop on Thursday, September 19th 2013, at the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute.
The NSDS workshop was held under the theme: “Sustainable Development & Progress through Statistical Collaboration”.
The workshop brought together in a consultative forum, all stakeholders who in some way impact the development of Bermuda’s statistical system. A total of 120 persons participated in the workshop which was opened by the Hon. L. Craig Cannonier, JP, MP, Premier of Bermuda. He emphasized the Government’s full support for a National Statistical Strategy, and impressed upon stakeholders to collaborate and contribute toward a system that will support a culture of evidence-based policy and decision making.
There was a diverse group of participants representing the public and private sectors, public authorities, the bank sector, trade unions, education and the general public. The topics of discussions focused on: developing an integrated and coordinated national statistical system; statistical needs of line Ministries and Agencies; data gaps in the statistical system, and advocacy.
The Premier recognized and expressed appreciation for the national, regional and international collaboration that was taking place to launch the NSDS for Bermuda. Presenters at the NSDS workshop included:
- Mrs. Valerie Robinson-James, Director of Statistics, Bermuda Government;
- Ms. Anna Sarotte, Programme Coordinator, PARIS21 Secretariat;
- Mr. Gerard Chenais, Independent Consultant NSDS, PARIS21;
- Dr. Philomen Harrison, Project Director Regional Statistics, CARICOM Secretariat;
- Mr. Lennox Benjamin, Chief Statistician, Guyana Bureau of Statistics;
- Mrs. Lori-Rae Alleyne-Franklin, Chief Statistician, Anguilla Statistics Department.
List of Documents
For more details, please see http://bernews.com/2013/09/premier-statistical-data-an-indispensable-tool/