Over 50 participants, including Directors General of statistics, policy makers and various users of statistics from the SADC countries, came together in Maputo for the workshop entitled “Better dialogue on statistics for better development results”; international and regional partners were also present, such as African Development Bank, African Union Commission , UN Economic Commission for Africa and the East African Community. The workshop was co-hosted by PARIS21, the Mozambique's National Statistical Institute (INE), and the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Secretariat. With the deadline for a Post-2015 Development Agenda fast approaching, the statistical community is particularly focused on reinforcing dialogue among major stakeholders. Discussions covered many pressing issues that will be key for meeting the data needs in the post-2015 era including how to:
- strengthen dialogue between producers and users of statistics;
- mobilize funding for the implementation of National Strategies for the Development of Statistics (NSDS);
- advocate for greater commitment from policy makers and development partners for the development of statistics ;
- mainstream and link data into the results agenda;
- collaborate with the private sector; and
- efficiently harness new technologies, such as dissemination tools.
Dr Joao Loureiro, President of Mozambique’s INE, opened the meeting by highlighting the supporting role of robust national statistical systems for the regional development agenda. He lauded the Mozambique government’s investments in a strong and reliable national statistical system. Dr. Johannes Jütting, PARIS21 Secretariat Manager, stressed the important window of opportunity created by the Post-2015 debate. The call for a data revolution has garnered much political support and is an invitation for the stakeholders present to play an active role in this important debate. He also reiterated the opportunities created by new tools and technologies to ease data collection and to make data more accessible to the citizens. The seminar concluded with recommendations as well as a concrete action plan to be implemented with the support of PARIS21 and its regional partners that will be shared next week.Documents, power point presentations (see below):
- The emerging Post-2015 development agenda: friend or foe for National Statistical Systems (NSS). By Johannes Jutting (PARIS21).
- PARIS21 Survey: Current status of NSS and relations with the development strategic units in southern Africa. By the PARIS21 Secretariat.
- Data for managing development: identifying the gaps and defining priorities for NSS in Africa. By the African Centre for Statistics (UNECA).
- Implementing NSDSs in the SADC region : How to better mainstream sectors statistics? By AfDB.
- Development policies and Statistics, how to reinforce the link? The example of Swaziland.
- Harmonized and co‑ordinated support and dialogue with Development partners: the example of the Malawi donor group on statistics.
- Statistics dissemination: how to answer the specific media needs? The experience of Namibia and Zambia. (no PPT for both)
- What kind of dialogue between NSSs and the Universities and Research Institutions. the experiences of Angola and Tanzania (No PPT for Tanzania).
- Responding to users’ needs through effective NSDS implementation. The example of Mozambique.
- Data needs of the private sector: expectations and delivery. The examples of Lesotho and Seychelles.
- The SHaSA, by the African Union;
- The Regional Strategic Reference Framework. By the African Development Bank;
- The African Symposium for Statistical Development. By Statistics South Africa;
- The SADC Regional Strategy for the Development of Statistics: a regional perspective. By the SADC Secretariat.
|agenda_workshop_SADC_final - for website.pdf||497.15 KB|
|1-Post-2015_Maputo Oct 2013-keynote.pptx||1.09 MB|
|4-Mainstreaming statistics & sectors-AfDB.ppt||571.5 KB|
|3-uneca - maputo.ppt||2.21 MB|
|5-swaziland PRSP STAT.pptx||189.58 KB|
|6-Donor Coordination NSS_Malawi.pptx||62.71 KB|
|8 - PARIS 21 - SADC_Mozambique - INE.ppt||511.5 KB|
|9 - LCCI Presentation-Maputo Paris21 (2).pptx||74.24 KB|
|10- Presentation_SHaSA_mozambique-last.pptx||552.01 KB|
|11-RRSF - Maputo.ppt||407.5 KB|
|12-Paris21 and SADC Maputo Stats SA FNL version.pptx||780.67 KB|
|13- PARI21 workshop- MZ - SADC Strategy.pptx||533.1 KB|